The summer transfer window is closed for the major leagues in Europe. However, with an eye on January, there’s plenty of gossip swirling about who’s moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings, goings and, of course, done deals!
TOP STORY: Juve want January deal for Jordi Alba
Juventus are showing an interest in signing Barcelona left-back Jordi Alba in the January transfer window, reports Sport, and the Blaugrana are willing to let the Spain international leave midseason so that they can lower their wage bill.
The Bianconeri have struggled this season, winning just two of their nine matches across all competitions, with Alex Sandro criticised for his performances. It has been reported that the Brazilian will leave the club when his contract comes to an end this summer.
That’s left Juve looking for a new left-back. Alba has a contract at the Camp Nou through to 2024, and Juve feel that the 33-year-old would be a signing that makes financial sense for both clubs.
It could also be a move that suits the player, as competition from Marcos Alonso and Alex Balde is likely to impact his playing time.
14.53 BST: Luis Suarez has said Major League Soccer is “one of the options I see as being most likely” for his next move, and ruled out a return to European football.
Suarez, 35, is now back at Nacional in Uruguay — after joining on a free transfer from Atletico Madrid in July — and has scored four goals in eight league appearances this season.
The former Liverpool and Barcelona forward has previously said that he received offers from MLS clubs in the summer, before settling on a switch back to his boyhood club.
“I don’t know yet,” Suarez told Marca, in an interview published on Saturday, when asked about playing in the United States. “It’s one of the options that I see as being most likely, but I’m not thinking about that right now. I’m thinking about and enjoying myself at Nacional.”
14.00 BST: Koke has told DAZN that he hopes to finish his career at Atletico Madrid as he prepares to break the club record for most appearances.
The 30-year-old will overtake Adelardo Rodriguez when he plays his 554th game, which will likely come against Sevilla on Saturday, and has another two years remaining on his contract.
“These are situations and moments of hard work and sacrifice and it’s a source of pride to be able to reach that number and hopefully much more,” Koke said. “My idea has always been to retire here but we’ll see what happens when my contract is up. I have two years left, this one and one more, and my idea is to stay here. I don’t know what will happen.”
Coraje y corazón. Una vida en rojiblanco ⚪🔴@Koke6, leyenda del @Atleti, frente a frente con DAZN 💭 ¡Disfrútala ya! pic.twitter.com/pbb5EHYzRI
— DAZN España (@DAZN_ES) September 30, 2022
13.09 BST: Tottenham forward Lucas Moura has told AS that he might be interested in a move to Sevilla.
Moura, 30, has found himself pushed down the pecking order under Antonio Conte and will need to find a new club if he wants regular first-team football.
“I didn’t know about Sevilla’s interest, but it’s a club that I like and a city that they speak very highly of,” Moura said. “Playing in La Liga would be something fantastic for me, because I like it a lot.”
12.15 BST: Barcelona’s Frenkie de Jong remains on Manchester United’s transfer wish list, sources have told ESPN’s Rob Dawson, while Borussia Dortmund midfielder Jude Bellingham will also be central to United’s transfer plans next summer.
Despite strong interest from United, De Jong remained at Barcelona during the transfer window, saying he never wanted to leave the Spanish giants. But sources told ESPN that United manager Erik ten Hag isn’t put off by the 25-year-old’s public stance and won’t rule out the possibility of making another bid next summer. There is still a feeling at Old Trafford that De Jong could leave Barcelona in the future and he could be convinced to move to Manchester where he’d reunite with his former Ajax manager Ten Hag.
11.21 BST: Brazilian wonderkid Endrick “is still possible” for Real Madrid, according to Diario AS, despite reports linking him with a move to LaLiga rivals Barcelona.
The newspaper says that “no decision has been made” on the next step for the Palmeiras forward, 16, with Endrick’s representatives aware that there’s no hurry given he cannot leave Brazil until he turns 18.
Palmeiras president Leila Pereira said this week that “no European club” had been in touch to discuss a move for the teenager.
Madrid have targeted the Brazilian youth market in recent years through chief scout Juni Calafat, signing Vinicius Junior, Rodrygo Goes and Reinier Jesus.
10.35 BST: In case you missed yesterday’s news, Chelsea have attempted to secure an advantage in the race to sign Christopher Nkunku from RB Leipzig by arranging for the striker to undergo medical tests ahead of a proposed move, sources have told ESPN’s James Olley.
Nkunku, 24, has attracted interest from several top clubs, including Manchester United, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. But Chelsea have attempted to position themselves at the front of the queue after overseeing private tests in Frankfurt a few weeks ago with a Chelsea orthopaedist present.
09.48 BST: RMC Sport reports that Kylian Mbappe wanted Paris Saint-Germain to sign a player to play as a No. 9 this summer.
The France international suggested a number of players, such as Gianluca Scamacca — signed for West Ham United, Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford, plus Barcelona pair Ousmane Dembele, who signed a new deal, and Robert Lewandowski, who switched from Bayern Munich.
09.00 BST: Aston Villa manager Steven Gerrard says that Douglas Luiz is no closer to signing a new contract to ward off interest from Arsenal.
The Gunners made two transfer offers for the Brazilian midfielder as the transfer deadline approached this summer, both of which were rejected by Villa.
Their interest is expected to be revived in January, but Villa have been hoping the 24-year-old would pen a new deal.
“No news in terms of extending his stay here, so that hasn’t changed,” Gerrard said. “But what I would say is that he’s very focused, he’s trained well.
“Am I surprised by the speculation? No, because we’ve got a young Brazilian player who’s a fantastic talent so I expect to be asked this question a lot as the season progresses.
“We want him to stay here, the owners were very strong in keeping him here. We didn’t obviously want to lose him on the final day and he has performed very well since and he has trained very well and he is ready to go at the weekend [at Leeds].”
– Since a promising debut saw him record a goal and assist against Sassuolo, Angel Di Maria has disappointed during his short time with Juventus and the club are already considering making the Argentina international available for transfer in January, according to Calciomercato. The winger has missed four matches through injury and received a red card during a loss against Monza in the final game before the international break, and is now banned for two games.
– AC Milan are hoping to sign Real Madrid winger Marco Asensio when his contract ends in the summer, but Calciomercato suggests that they will face stiff complication. That comes in the form of interest from Barcelona and Juventus, who are both keen on adding the Spain international on a free transfer.
– Levi Colwill might be on loan at Brighton & Hove Albion from Chelsea, but the centre-back is already being looked at by various Italian clubs, according to Calciomercato. It is added that AC Milan and Napoli have both previously considered the 19-year-old, while Atalanta have strong interest.
– Lyon attacker Mateus Tete has hinted that he wants to remain with the French club, where he’s playing on loan from Shakhtar Donetsk, on a permanent basis. “I’m very happy here, I love this city, I love this club,” the 22-year-old former Brazil youth international is quoted as saying by Foot Mercato. “It’s practically my second family and I hope I’ll stay here for a long time.”